Building an incredibly strong core is often the basis for success in fitness.
Not only does a strong core provide functional movements and increased stability, but it also contributes to fantastic aesthetics as well.
Plus, who doesn't want to have amazing-looking abs?
Fortunately, by combining the right exercises into your routine, you can efficiently target those hard-to-reach abdominal muscles with compound exercises that take no time.
In this article, we'll look at five of the best compound abs exercises that you can use to build an insanely strong core:
- Best Compound Chest Exercises
- Best Compound Shoulder Exercises
- Best Compound Leg Exercises
- Best Compound Back Exercises
Best Compound Abs Exercises At-Home
Here are the top 5 compound abs exercises you can do anywhere. Let’s talk about how to perform them along with their advantages:
1. Dumbbell Squat Press
The dumbbell squat and press, often known as a "thruster," is an excellent compound abs workout for increasing strength and stamina all over, especially in the lower body.
When you combine the traditional dumbbell squat with an overhead press, you're training your upper body as well as your lower. This workout boosts strength in the shoulders, triceps, and upper back, and stability and strength in the abdominals are pushed to new heights.
How To Do Dumbbell Squat Press?
- Stand with your feet hip-width apart to begin. Squat with a dumbbell held in each hand, palms facing in.
- Go as low as possible into a squat while keeping your back straight and your knees behind your toes. Create tension by pressing down through your feet as you lower yourself.
- As you press the dumbbells above your shoulders until your biceps are by your ears, explode upward from the squat by extending your hips and knees. Maintain a strong abdominal core as you ascend.
- Reduce the load to reset the exercise.
2. Floor Wiper
The lower abs and obliques receive a workout with this tried-and-true compound abs exercise that involves lifting and rotating the legs as the upper abs balance the torso and hold the barbell.
How To Do Floor Wiper?
- Start by lying on your back with a barbell positioned directly over your chest (or arms out at your sides for a less intense variation, shown above).
- Keep your knees straight by contracting your quadriceps while you contract your abs and raise your legs off the ground.
- Stretch your legs out to the side and put your toes on the plate.
- Without letting your feet touch the floor, bring your legs back to the middle in front of you and sweep them up to the opposite side so that they touch the opposite plate.
- Continue alternating between the two sides for 8-12 repetitions on each side for a total of 16-24 repetitions.
3. Ab Wheel Rollouts
The ab wheel might not appear to be much, yet it has a powerful punch.
A variety of compound exercises are available on an ab wheel, making it one of the most effective core-training instruments.
Core stabilization, anti-extension training, and lower back pain are all the benefits of this ingenious workout. The common ab wheel rollout can be modified in countless ways to suit your fitness level and goals.
How To Do Ab Wheel Rollouts?
- With an ab wheel in front of you, begin kneeling on a mat.
- Take hold of the ab wheel's handles and place your weight firmly on them.
- Lift your feet off the floor, cross your legs, and rest them on your hands. Maintain an upright posture. Hold your abs in and squish your glutes.
- The wheel should be rolled out in front of you, and the core muscles should be used during the entire process.
- Keep your back straight and roll out as far as you can.
- Maintain the fully extended stance for a few seconds.
- To return to a starting position, slowly and deliberately bring the wheel back towards you while actively working your core and maintaining a straight back.
4. Hanging Knee Tuck
This compound abs exercise makes you rely solely on your abdominal muscles to propel you forward. You can perform this workout on parallel bars or with ab sling straps if your grip gives out before your abs.
How To Do Hanging Knee Tuck?
- Cling to a bar.
- Lift your knees to your chin while drawing your abs in towards your spine.
- You can also slouch a little by bringing your knees up to your chin and rounding your back.
- Carefully bring your legs back down to the floor.
- Do it as many times as you can in a row.
5. Bear Crawl
Moving forward while shifting your weight from one foot to the next engages your core and strengthens your arms and legs. This total-body compound exercise is excellent for strengthening and conditioning since it uses so many muscle groups.
How To Do Bear Crawl?
- Put your hands under your shoulders and your knees under your hips, forming a "tabletop" position. To achieve this, flex your feet at the balls and pull your toes up.
- Hold a tight core, shrug your shoulders down and back, and rotate your elbows in towards your body to activate your lats.
- Maintain a neutral spine and neck position. Raise your shins a couple of inches off the ground and align your hips and shoulders.
- Step forward with your left hand and right foot without bringing your hips up, then switch to the other side and repeat.
- Throughout the stated distance or number of steps, keep crawling ahead.
- You can bear crawl in many directions, including backward, laterally, and diagonally.
After discussing the top 5 compound abs exercises that will help you build an insanely strong core, it is crucial to recognize the importance of protein intake in order for the body to repair and rebuild those abs you've worked so hard for.
Eating clean and healthy meals to fuel your body should also be a major priority when trying to develop that rock-solid core you've been working for.
Furthermore, always remember to stretch properly before and after each workout; flexibility is as important as strength in attaining great abs.
A final reminder is that consistency pays off; having a consistent and familiar regime where you push yourself and strive to beat your personal records will ensure progress.
With all this in mind, now any individual with the right mindset, knowledge, and intestinal fortitude can acquire an insanely strong core by practicing these compound abs exercises with dedication.