Are you struggling to get rid of those pesky love handles and muffin tops?
You’re not alone – millions of people all around the world are faced with the same challenge.
If you’ve already tried dieting and still can't seem to trim down your waistline, then it may be time to switch things up a bit by adding targeted exercises into your routine.
In this blog post, we’ll look at some of the best workouts for losing your “love handles" as well as tips on how you can maximize their effectiveness:
Best Workouts To Get Rid Of Love Handles At Home
Let’s talk about the most recommended moves to lose your love handles:
1. Russian Twists
Russian twists are an effective exercise for targeting and toning the obliques, the muscles situated along the sides of the torso.
By assuming a V-shaped position and twisting the torso from side to side, this exercise engages the entire core, contributing to improved abdominal strength.
The focused twisting motion is particularly advantageous for tightening the waistline, making Russian twists a beneficial addition to any workout routine for reducing love handles.
Muscles Targeted: Obliques, abdominals
How to do it:
- Sit on the floor with your knees bent, feet flat on the ground.
- Lean back slightly, keeping your back straight and forming a V-shape with your torso and thighs.
- Clasp your hands together in front of you, and lift your feet a few inches off the ground.
- Twist your torso to the right, bringing your hands towards the floor beside your hip.
- Return to the center and then twist to the left side. This completes one rep.
- Repeat the movement for the recommended number of repetitions.
2. Bicycle Crunches
Bicycle crunches are renowned for their ability to activate both the rectus abdominis and obliques, offering a comprehensive workout for the abdominal muscles.
The dynamic nature of this exercise involves a twisting motion, engaging the love handle area directly.
Additionally, the coordination required between the upper and lower body promotes overall core stability, making bicycle crunches a valuable exercise to get rid of love handles.
Muscles Targeted: Rectus abdominis, obliques
How to do it:
- Lie on your back with your hands behind your head and your legs lifted off the ground.
- Bring your right knee towards your chest while simultaneously twisting your torso to bring your left elbow towards your right knee.
- Straighten your right leg and switch, bringing your left knee towards your chest while twisting your torso to bring your right elbow towards your left knee.
- Continue this pedaling motion, alternating sides in a controlled manner.
- Perform the exercise for the recommended number of repetitions.
Woodchoppers are a versatile exercise that targets the obliques and muscles throughout the torso, contributing to a strong and defined waistline.
The rotational movement involved in woodchoppers aids in the reduction of love handles by specifically targeting the sides of the core.
As individuals pivot on their back foot while twisting, the exercise becomes an effective way to challenge and strengthen the entire core, making it an excellent choice for those looking to trim excess fat around the waist.
Muscles Targeted: Obliques, shoulders, legs
How to do it:
- Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart, holding a weight or medicine ball with both hands.
- Begin with the weight at one side of your body, next to your hip.
- Twist your torso and raise the weight diagonally across your body, finishing above your opposite shoulder.
- Keep your core engaged, and pivot on your back foot as you twist.
- Return to the starting position in a controlled manner.
- Repeat the movement on the other side.
- Continue to alternate sides for the recommended number of repetitions.
4. Battle Rope Wave
Battle Rope Waves offer a dynamic and intense workout that not only targets the core but also engages the arms and shoulders.
The rapid up-and-down motion of the battle ropes challenges the entire abdominal region, including the love handles.
This move to lose love handles also promotes calorie burning and fat loss, contributing to a leaner midsection. The constant movement requires stabilization from the core muscles, enhancing overall strength and endurance.
Muscles Targeted: Core, arms, shoulders
How to do it:
Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart, holding a battle rope in each hand.
Engage your core and start creating waves with the ropes by moving your arms up and down rapidly.
Maintain a stable stance and keep the waves going for the recommended duration.
You can vary the intensity by adjusting the speed and amplitude of the waves.
5. Leg Windshield Wipers
Leg Windshield Wipers are a challenging exercise that primarily targets the obliques, lower abs, and hip flexors.
By lifting the legs towards the ceiling and then lowering them side to side without touching the ground, this movement engages the muscles along the sides of the torso. The controlled, sweeping motion challenges the love handle area while promoting flexibility and strength in the core.
Leg Windshield Wipers are particularly effective in toning the waistline and getting rid of love handles.
Muscles Targeted: Obliques, lower abs, hip flexors
How to do it:
- Lie on your back with your arms extended out to the sides, palms facing down.
- Lift your legs towards the ceiling, keeping them straight.
- Lower your legs to one side towards the floor without letting them touch the ground.
- Lift your legs back up to the center and then lower them to the other side.
- Continue this windshield wiper motion in a controlled manner.
- Repeat for the recommended number of repetitions.
These are the bet exercises that can help you get rid of love handles.
An exercise routine that involves cardio activities, interval training, and abs-focused activity will help provide the best results.
Additionally, try to watch your diet and drink lots of water to aid in the journey to shed excess fat around the midsection.